January 8, 2015

Supertaster woes


Hello friends! So yesterday, I declared my goal of quitting all sodas for good! Well, it's going well, but I need a replacement for caffiene. I like tea, especially chai, but can't stand coffee. However, everyone I know drinks coffee, and with Frank making a pot every morning I am bound and determined to make myself like it.

Although I don't think Frank really believed me when I brought it up years ago when cringing over broccoli and coffee, I am a supertaster. Yup, a person with a whole lot more taste buds on my tongue than the average person. In fact, 20-30% of the population are supertasters! So, I am sure many of you all out there are as well and can identify! My super tasting ability unfortunatley makes me taste nasty bitterness in broccoli, spinach, and of course coffee as well as many other foods/drinks. I have forced myself to eat broccoli and spinach over the years, but I've never been a huge fan like Frank. He can eat broccoli totally raw. Crazy.

Back in my sophmore Biology class hundreds of years ago, my teacher tested us all using  a bitter chemical called 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP) on a piece of litmus paper. I remember only 2 of us in the whole room hated the taste of it, and were were also the only 2 who hated coffee.

So, here I am all these years later and my taste buds still hate bitter foods. I tried a very weak latte today, and that I can handle. Pretty yummy.  The milk masks the bitter part quite well. Just don't want to always have to add milk! From my past experience with beer (I used to hate the bitter metallic taste), I know I'll be drinking it black after a few months of persistence.

How about you all? Any of you supertasters? Do you like coffee and how do you drink it if so?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!